Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 21 February 2012

Glasgow shows what can be achieved


Continuing with the Scottish theme the New Liturgical Movement recently had an article by Fr Lawrence Lew O.P. on the recently completed restoration and redecoration of the Catholic cathedral in Glasgow which shows what handsome results can be achieved in such schemes. I have not visited the cathedral either before or since the restoration, but it does look like an impressive project that has been initiated by Archbishop Conti. Fr Lawrence's illustrated article can be read at St Andrew's Cathedral, Glasgow .

No comments: