Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 16 February 2012

Forthcoming EF Masses at SS Gregory and Augustine in Oxford


Fr Saward at the church of SS Gregory and Augustine here in Oxford has sent me these details of three forthcoming Masses in the usus antiquior at the church:

This coming Sunday, February 19th, Quinquagesima, Sung Mass in the Extraordinary Form at 12 noon

Ash Wednesday, February 22nd Missa Cantata, plus polyphony, in the Extraordinary Form at 6 p.m.

Looking further ahead, on Monday 12th March, there will be High Mass in the Extraordinary Form at 6 p.m. for the patronal feast of St Gregory, with singing provided by the choir of the Oratory School. The preacher will be Fr Richard Duffield C.O. This will be one of the principal events in celebration of the parish centenary.

For those of you who do not know the church it is at 322 Woodstock Road, and on the no.6 Oxford -Wolvercote bus route.

1 comment:

Stephanie A. Mann said...

Hello, John--I'm sending a "meme" your way to publish a post on your three favorite books and then send the same request on to five more bloggers! I hope you continue the chain: I would be very interested in seeing your choices.
My choices? http://supremacyandsurvival.blogspot.com/2012/02/meme-too-meme-too.html