Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 6 February 2012

February 1952 remembered


Here are two online articles describing the events around the death of King George VI and the accession of Queen Elizabeth II sixty years ago today.

The first is from the Sunday Telegraph and is a series of extracts from autobiographies and memoirs and can be read here.

The other is from today's internet:'The King Is Dead': How Princess Elizabeth and the nation heard of the monarch's passing

No comments: