Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 5 January 2012

Ordination in Oslo


I commend to your prayers my good friend Martin Stamnestro who will be ordained as a deacon by the Bishop of Oslo in his cathedral tomorrow evening.

Martin is Norwegian by birth and upbringing, but with a degree from Durham, followed by a D.Phil. in liturgical history from Oxford. I met him as Pusey House, and he is one of my group of friends from there who, like me, have been received into the full peace and communion of the Catholic Church. He has been training in Norway and Germany for ministry.



St Olav's Cathedral, Oslo

Image: Wikimedia

There is more about the cathedral here.


No comments: