Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 22 November 2011

St Cecilia Parson Cross


Last year in my post St Cecilia's Day I wrote about my visits to the fine church of St Cecilia Parson Cross in the northern suburbs of Sheffield and my extraordinarily happy memories of the parish in the time of the late Canon Geoffrey Bostock OGS, when it was a great, Romanising, Anglo-Catholic stronghold.

Looking at the parish website today I see that the main church building is at present closed due to structural problems,and services being held either in the undercroft Lady Chapel or at the daughter church of St Bernard, and an ominous sounding notice of a meeting in September to discuss the future of the church. Desperately sad news. As I wrote last year I do not want to go back, but I mourn for what is departed or departing.
Parish Church of St Cecilia, Parson Cross, Sheffield - 2

St Cecilia's from the west

Image:Geograph SK3392
© Copyright Terry Robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


No comments: