Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 4 November 2011

Ordination at the London Oratory


There is a fine set of pictures on the New Liturgical Movement website of the ordination to the priesthood of Fr Edward van den Bergh C.O. at the London Oratory by the Archbishop of Westminster on October 22nd. They can be viewed at An Ordination at the London Oratory. Here is a sample:



I have met Fr Edward and know his parents, who live in Oxford, and his brother, who was one of the Archiepiscopal vimperers.

It was also good to see on the photographs my fellow Orielensis, Br Stephen Morrison, now a Norbertine in Chelmsford, who was Sub-Deacon. There were other friends and familiar faces amongst the clergy and the Brothers of the London Oratory who were assisting.

Fr Blake has some reflections on the liturgy in his post
An Authentic Celebration According to the Roman Missal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is an Archiepiscopal vimperer? I looked it up but could find nothing except a reference back to you blog.

Once I Was A Clever Boy said...

A vimper is a cloth worn over the shoulders and used, rather in the manner of a humeral veil, to hold the mitre and crosier of a major prelate. So a vimperer is one who wears a vimper, and he is archiepiscopal if he is doing so on behalf of an Archbishop.