Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 15 November 2011

Martyr Abbots


Yesterday was the anniversary of the martyrdom of Abbot Hugh Faringdon of Reading and his companions and today that of the martyrdom of Abbot Richard Whiting and his companions in 1539. My posts from last year about Bl. Hugh Cook or Faringdon, last Abbot of Reading and about Bl.Richard Whiting, Abbot of Glastonbury give an accouint of their lives and witness in blood for the Catholic faith.

No comments: