Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 10 June 2011

Prince Philip at 90


Today is the 90th birthday of Prince Philip, and an occasion to express good wishes and gratitude for his many years of support to The Queen and the monarchy.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20110610/capt.photo_1307713547494-2-0.jpg

From recent interviews he appears to take ninety, as everything else, in his stride, and to blend self-effacement as a person with an ability to speak his mind without fear or favour. Long may he continue to do so.


No comments: