Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 11 June 2011

Ordinariate Evensong Wednesday June 15th


From the online newsletter of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham:


Courtesy of Br Lawrence Lew OP

Next week's historic celebration of Solemn Evensong & Benediction by the Oxford Ordinariate Group has been warmly welcomed by the Catholic journalist, William Oddie. Dr Oddie, himself a former member of the Church of England, said "[W]hen I left the Church of England, I grimly turned my back also on some priceless treasures. Now I have been given them back without even asking for them".

The service, in the Priory Church of the Dominicans in Oxford - Blackfriars - will take place on Wednesday 15 June 2011 at 7.30pm and will be followed by strawberries and refreshments. Music will include works by Stanford, Howells, Byrd, and Gibbons and the preacher is Monsignor Andrew Burnham. All are welcome and further details can be obtained from the Revd Daniel Lloyd by email. Directions can be found here.



1 comment:

davidforster said...

The picture on the flier is most definitely not Anglican evensong - I seem to recognize the back of my head there. Benediction to celebrate the end of a session of server training for the Traditional rite, if I am not mistaken.