Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 25 June 2011

Celebrating Corpus Christi in Oxford


On Thursday I observed Corpus Christi in the Extraordinary Form, as I prefer to do. I went to the Low Mass offered at the Oratory at lunchtime and made my communion there, and then late afternoon went up to SS Gregory and Augustine to help do some practical sacristy jobs in preparation for the visit of the Archbishop of Birmingham to bless the redecorated reredos on Sunday. I was asked to serve at their Mass, which I did, despite a rhumatic knee (now recovered), and here are pictures of the Mass from Joe Shaw's LMS Chairman blog. We were rather short of servers, but the three of us managed to support Fr Saward.

2011 06 23_0274



2011 06 23_0285

Mass was followed by a procesion inside the church and Benediction.

There are more pictures here.

No comments: