Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 7 March 2011

Photographs of the first Mass of Juventutem Oxford


Last week I wrote a post Mass with Juventutem Oxford about the launch of Juventutem Oxford on the feast of St Chad at the church of SS Gregory and Augustine.

Here is part of another account with photographs from the LMS Chairman of Dr Joseph Shaw:

2006 02 24_8427

Dr Shaw writes:

This was a very good occasion in itself, and a very promising start for the Juventutem group. The Schola Abelis provided a truly outstanding polyphonic Mass for the Feast of St Chad; afterwards about 15 people had dinner together in the University Catholic Chaplaincy, taking advantage of the brand new 'Artisanal Pizza' van parked close by: a van with a wood-fired oven in it which prepares and cooks the pizzas in front of you. And very good they were too!

More photos here.

For more about Juventutem, see:
Juventutem London:
Facebook page, Blog
Juventutem Oxford
Facebook event

As I indicated last week this all looks to be a very positive and healthy development and I wish it well as an initiative.

No comments: