Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 10 March 2011

Lent reading plan


Every Lent I mean to do more spiritual reading and more often than not that good intention goes the way of most good intentions...

This year I am more hopeful as we have agreed that the Brothers of the Oratory here in Oxford would aim to read the Pope's new book Jesus of Nazareth - Holy Week as part of our Lenten discipline.

On the basis of my other reading of his work, I am really looking forward to doing so.

Otherwise I would like to read some more of the work of St Teresa of Avila, and to learn more about her.



St Teresa of Ávila
by Peter Paul Rubens
Image: Wikipedia

A friend has lent me the biography by Marcelle Auclair, and I recently got a copy of the saint's letters, as well as E Allison Peers' introduction to the Spanish mystics, so I hope to become a little more knowlegeable over the next few weeks. I am attracted by St Teresa's sanctified common sense.

For other reading - and I rather doubt if it will happen in my case - I see from the Hermeneutic of Continuity that Fr Bryan Jerabek has updated the pages of his Lenten Reading Plans to give this year's dates. These reading plans are provided to assist people with their daily meditation. There are four plans with readings from the Fathers, Lives of the Saints, Newman/Faber, and St John Vianney. Last year I started on the Patristic series, and found it an excellent scheme, but once one misses a day or two it becomes well nigh impossible to catch up. However I may try to follow the series again.


No comments: