Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 28 February 2011

St Oswald of Worcester


Today is the feast of St Oswald, Benedictine monk and reformer, founder of Ramsey Abbey, Bishop of Worcester from 961 and Archbishop of York from 972, holding both dioceses until his death in 992. He was buried at Worcester which became his main cult centre.

He was one of the great figures in the life of the Church in England in the great period of monastic reform in the mid and late tenth century, and there is a good account of his life here.

No comments: