Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 3 February 2011

New Provost of the Oxford Oratory


From the website of the Oxford Oratory:

February 2nd 2011

The Fathers held their triennial election this morning. Fr Daniel Seward was elected as Provost, with Fr Dominic Jacob and Fr Joseph Welch as Deputies. Fr Dominic is the Vice-Provost.

The picture below shows Fr Daniel with Fr Robert Byrne, who has been Provost for the past twenty years, since the foundation of our House.

1296655498.jpg


I am sure all of us who worship at the Oratory are immensely grateful to Fr Robert for all that he has made possible over these last twenty years, and wish him an enjoyable sabbatical. Equally I am sure we all recognise Fr Daniel's many gifts and can be confident that the Oxford Oratory will continue to flourish under his stewardship.

No comments: