Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 16 February 2011

Missal translation


This week's Catholic Herald leads with a story about last ditch resistance to the introduction of the new English translation of the Roman Missal.

Even if we read the story as the Herald trying to be eye-catching one can see that those opposed to this more accurate translation appear to be the usual suspects. From what I have seen and the comments of those whose opinions I value it will be infinitely superior to what we have now. Beyond that it should help to carry forward the "Reform of the Reform" by making people in the parishes aware of the possibilities of liturgical renewal within the Novus Ordo.

William Oddie has a typically forceful piece on his blog about the issue, and, if you have time, the comments it has generated repay inspection. Some are less optimistic about the future than Dr Oddie, or for that matter, I would be, but do make some significant points.

Others really do sound like the incoherent wounded cries of the "Spirit of Vatican II" brigade, ever looking for "Futurechurch" as the new and living way. Would that these were their last screams of protest, but that might be hoping for too much. Nonetheless they are worth looking at so as to know the enemy and its mindset.


No comments: