Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 3 February 2011

Candlemas liturgy


There is an interesting post on the New Liturgical Movement about the evolution of the Candlemas liturgy which you can read here.

Last night I was a server for the Mass with the Candlemas ceremonies according to the Extraordinary Form at SS Gregory and Augustine in north Oxford, celebrated by Fr John Saward. This was a beautiful occasion - even if it got a little crowded at times in the Sanctuary with an MC, thurifer, two acolytes and two taperers - and was accompanied with Gregorian chant from the Scola Thomae Abelis.

Fr Blake in Brighton has a post about how he was using the feast day as an occasion to make the congregation more familiar with the traditional form, which you can read here.


No comments: