Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 26 March 2010

St Bede's Hall


Yesterday evening I was at a reception at St Bede's Hall here in Oxford to mark the first anniversary of the decree establishing it being issued by the Archbishop of Birmingham. The evening began with the blessing by Fr Gareth Jones of the handsome new premises of the Hall on St Giles. The building, now being renovated,redecorated and refurnished, is a welcoming introduction to what promises to be a lively and positive contribution to the Catholic academic life of Oxford. Much of the credit for this belongs to the Provost, Dr Penny Cookson, whose determination and enthusiasm has carried the project forward, ably supported by colleagues and friends. To find out more about St Bede's click on the link in the side bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sic transit gloria mundi . . .